CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Rescue 911

Kylie had been sick with a fever since Thursday the 24th, and Brian was home with her on Wednesday the 30th. I started not feeling well about mid-morning. Kind of achy and I could tell I was getting a fever. It hurt my upper back when I inhaled, but I wasn't congested at all. The day went on and I got to feeling worse.

I barely made it home after picking up Landon from school. I had just walked in the door and Brian went upstairs to take care of a work phone call. I felt nauseated and went to the bathroom. Landon was so sweet. He was rubbing my back and holding my hair and talking so sweetly. Meanwhile, Kylie was trying to get her hands into the toilet water! Finally, I gave up on the puking and just sat there on the floor. After a few minutes I realized I couldn't feel or move my legs and my hands were getting numb.

Brian finally came downstairs and checked on me. I don't know how many times I had to tell him that I couldn't move before he finally believed me. He helped me up and moved me to the couch. I was scared and crying and in pain. My eyes burned, probably from the fever, and it hurt to breathe.

He was on the phone with my mom to see if she could come watch the kids while he took me to the clinic and apparently I passed out. I don't remember any of that, so I have to take his word for it. At that point, he called 911 and summoned an ambulance. I remember him hitting my leg and I came to. It felt like I had been out for a while, even though he says it was only for less than a minute. The paramedics came in with their gurney and I was basically hysterical. my fever was in the 103-104+ range and I was hyperventilating, making the pain worse, and probably causing more numbness. They loaded me up and took me to Huguley to get checked out.

The overall consensus was that I had a viral infection since there was no one place that hurt, except my back which they didn't really address. They attributed the numbness to lack of oxygen from hyperventilation. At the hospital, my BP was 170/120. Weird thing was that all of this time I wasn't getting enough oxygen, not once did they give me any through a mask. Looking back now, this strikes me as odd.

I am better now after fighting the fever for a few days. I remember seeing my kids during all of theses events and being scared for them. Landon is a little scared of police officers because they carry guns and apparently one of the kids at school told him that policemen kill people and left it at that. What are parents telling their kids and letting them watch on TV???? All I could think was he was seeing his mom being taken away by men in uniform and in trucks with sirens and I couldn't tell him everything was really okay. Brian and my mom reassured him and I know he'll be okay, but it wasn't me. We have talked about it and he seems to understand that the men in uniform are here to help and they were taking care of mommy.

7 comments:

Courtney said...

whoo girl, glad it was nothing serious! hope you are feeling better. Way to go Landon for helping mom!!

Mommyto3K's said...

Wow, Melissa. That was quite the ordeal and I'm sure pretty scary. Glad you are recovering!! Take it easy and take care!!

The Mrs. said...

Scary! I hope you're feeling better soon.

Erin said...

I sure hope you are feeling better!

Miguelita said...

Wow, how very scary! I can only iimagine trying to explain all of that to my 3 yr old boys. Glad it was just a virus.

I came via Dad Gone Mad's Links of Love to say hi.

MereCat said...

that is so scary! I'm glad you are better. Darling Landon. Who, WHA, why????did someone say that to him about the police? I will never understand some things.

Anonymous said...

Whoa Nelly!! Glad you're doing ok now. How scary. Good for Landon for making you feel better for a bit.